Wednesday, May 23, 2007

You Won't Believe It!

Have you ever been on trip far from home and then run into someone you knew?

This has happened to me more than once.

It is almost like you planned it.

Of course I am 6' 7" tall, I am easy to spot in a crowd of people. But think about the odds of running into someone at that very moment, the same place, the same day, and at the same minute.

I have two brothers who both drove over a hundred miles taking their families to an amusement park on the same day. Neither one knew of the others plans. Sure enough they ran into each other in a park filled with over 20,000 people.

The last time it happened to me was while I was in California and a friend was showing me around Universal City Walk in Los Angles. The place was packed. The City Walk is designed to stimulate your senses with all the architectural designs, the bright colors, flashing lights, and carnival sounds. The chances of walking past your best friend and missing them are high because of all the distractions.

As soon as I saw my friend walking towards me I thought what shall I say…..We had not seen each other for several years and I was sure I did not look the same so I politely said, “say don’t I know you?” and she said, “ I don’t think so,” as she started to walk by. Then I said, “It’s me,” as I said my name. She was startled and then she quickly recognized it was me and smiled saying, “How are you? What are you doing here?” Her son had taken a job there in California. She was visiting so he was showing her around the City Walk at on the same day, at the same time. What a surprise.

I have a friend who told me story where he and another friend made plans to secretly meet in Europe while on vacation. Both couples had made vacation plans on their own. Later they found out they would both be traveling around Europe the same time of the year. My friend wanted to really surprise his wife so he called up the other guy and they made plans during their vacation time to meet in particular city, in front of a famous statue at the same time and not tell their wives. That way when they ran into each other it would appear to be by chance, a special moment in time.

Later that night they went out to eat together to celebrate a memorial moment in time and both couples went on their way for the rest of their trip wondering if by chance they would meet again in Europe. The husbands never told their wives how they had planned that meeting. Their wives still talk about how they unbelievably bumped into each other in Europe while on vacation.

Creating memories is what it is all about. Some times it happens on its own and other time they could be planned. You may never know.

You won’t believe it.

No comments: